M 005

M 005

Workers on one of the local watercress beds

Alresford is famous for its watercress. The first commercial development of watercress dates from 1873, when a Mr Mills, from Sussex, opened up beds at the Nythe on the north side of Alresford Pond, and reached its peak in the 1930’s while it was being transported by rail and it could be picked, packed and sent on the train for sale in London within 24 hours. Today it is a million pound industry and transported by road

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE