Ropley 008

Ropley 008

“Archbishops Cottage” Ropley, early last century. Believed to be one of the oldest houses in Ropley, the cottage, at the end of Church Lane where it runs into Lyeway Lane is still there on the south side of the road opposite the pond. The name of the cottage is believed to be derived from Archbishop Howley, son of a rector of Ropley who was fostered by a woman living in the cottage. Howley succeeded his father as Vicar of Bishop’s Sutton and Ropley from 1796-1813. Later he became Bishop of London and from 1828-1948 was Archbishop of Canterbury

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE