Old Alresford 026

Old Alresford 026

July 1914. Men from Armsworth Farm drawing water on the green at Old Alresford during the summer before the First War. The barrels held about 190 gallons. Sometimes a spare horse was taken to the pumping station to help pull the barrels back. Men from the surrounding villages used Old Alresford, others Preston Candover where the charge was 6d a barrel if they pumped their own water. Herbert Merritt the shoemaker (in the black apron) looks on

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE