Bishop's Sutton 022

Bishop's Sutton 022

Bishop’s Sutton Church of England Primary Aided School served the community by educating the village children for 110 years. (1858-1968). The last pupils to attend the school are photographed here in front of the school building, shortly before it was closed in April 1968. The actual School had two main rooms, the largest being the bulk of the building behind the children, this was used as the infants classroom mainly the right half, the other half was used for assembly and as a dinner room. the Junior class was accessed through the main part and had a small hatch door into the garden of the Caretakers cottage which was out the back of the building. The toilets of corrugated tin were at the bottom of the garden.The brick extension on the right end of the building was the cloakroom and the other end was the kitchen, though the dinners were brought down from Ropley school and dished up there.The wooden shed was where the PE equipment was kept along with the may pole. The chimney had a large turtle stove which barely heated the main part, the gold fish tank often being frozen but it did thaw out the daily milk rations

Back row standing L to R: [unknown], Neil Allam, Martin Norris, Robert Hillary, Charles Pitman, Andrew Stroud, Mark Norris (tall boy in front of chimney breast), Stephen Dahl, Jeffrey Hamlin, Garry Allam, Peter Strong, [Next 4 unknown]

Front row sitting L to R: [first 2 unknown], Carla Smith, Deborah ?. ? Merritt, Stephanie Upton?. Valerie Bartrop (tall girl), Pauline Merritt, Jackie Cannings, Teresa Bartop, Dorothy Ventham, Pam Wells, Gillian Stroud, Carol Bartrop, [unknown], Karen Smith, Sandra Burgess, Diane Crockford, Teresa Ventham, [unknown], Tina Ventham, [next five unknown], Ruth Bartrop [Last 2 unknown]

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE