R 004

R 004

Alresford Railway Station in 1974

Constructed in 1865 for the new Alton, Alresford and Winchester Railway Company which later became the first incarnation of the Mid-Hants Railway, the station later joined the London and South Western Railway. It was absorbed as part of that into the Southern Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The station then passed on to the Southern Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948, and was then closed by the British Railways Board in 1973

The station then reopened on 30 April 1977 as the western terminus of the Mid Hants Watercress Railway, a heritage railway which runs from Alresford to Alton

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE