T 045

T 045

Where two flint-and-chalk ways crossed – from Bishop’s Sutton over White Hill and along Tichborne Down, and from Alresford down Sun Hill and on over woody undulations to Bramdean – stood the Cricketer’s Arms, a former centre of cock-fighting and the future headquarters of Alresford Golf Club. This Inn was originally known as the White Horse but changed its name to the Cricketer’s Arms when a cricket square was created in front of the windows. Alresford Golf Club would use the top, far left  room of the Inn as it’s “clubhouse” from 1890 until 1910/11 when a new Inn was purpose built, with a new clubroom attached, at the other end of Tichborne Down Road. This new building would also take the name of “Cricketer’s”, leaving the old building to be used as the Links Laundry and later split into private homes.

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE