H 042

H 042

When Perin’s School re-opened on the 11th September 1939, after the summer holidays the nation was at war…
In the October, half of one of the playing fields was planted with potatoes. Everyone worked on it, girls as well as boys and the potatoes were planted by the gardening classes. Food production was the first priority, and throughout the war, the school was never short of potatoes.

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE