H 030

H 030

Perin’s School Sports Day 1907. The pupils parade in the lower east playing field (on the area of land that is now a public car park) at the new Perin’s Grammar School, which would be officially opened in 1910 in Pound Hill.

The headmaster at this time was a Mr Britten who had been a military man before becoming a headmaster. Any pupil who met him had to salute. There were no prefects at this time, but the school was ranked in military style with corporals and sergeants, etc. Also Mr Britten took “Military Drill”, whereby the pupils had to drill like an army, using wooden sticks shaped like rifles.

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE