Perins Grammar School, 1910
This building, still stands though it is no longer a school. The school moved in 1910, to the opposite side of the road, further up the hill leading towards Winchester and is now a comprehensive school. A free grammar school had been founded in Alresford in 1696 by Christopher Perin whose brother, Henry, bequeathed £420 in his will to build the school house in West Street, whose master was to teach reading, writing and latin grammar to 19 poor boys, 6 from New Alresford, 5 from Old Alresford, 4 from Bishop’s Sutton and 4 from Cheriton parish. The two wings were the school part, the middle was the headmaster’s house.
The apearance of the right hand wing was completely changed when the frontage was converted into a shop