R 011

R 011

1940, at the top of Pound Hill, next to Perins school entrance, an anti-tank gun lies surrounded by a pile of scrap metal which was being collected for the war effort

Like many other towns, in the aftermath of the Great War Alresford was presented with an artillery piece

All that remains today are the concrete bases on which the gun was mounted. The slabs are its stand and anchorage. The two larger ones still have the remains of the securing points. The smaller slab supported the gun’s trail, showing that it was set up pointing towards Winchester

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE