Q 025

Q 025

HMS Alresford was a Hunt-class minesweeper of the Royal Navy. She was laid down on the Clyde on 30 April 1918 and launched shortly after the First World War, and went on to serve during the Second World War. In 1936-38, she was a tender to the navigation school, HMS Dryad, and was used for local running in the Portsmouth area, training officers in pilotage. Alresford took part in the Dieppe Raid and the Dunkirk evacuation, Operation Dynamo. In 1947 — just thirty years after her authorization — she was sold to the Belgian Merchant Marine and became scrap metal. Her photograph and a copy of her badge, presented personally by her officers and crew in 1942, hang as a permanent memorial on the south wall of New Alresford Parish church

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE