M 011

M 011

A feature on the skyline at the top of the hill in Jacklyns Lane for many years this painting of Alresford Waterworks and it’s tower is kindly reproduced from an original drawing by A. R. Wade which is displayed in Alresford Library.

The caption which accompanies the painting states:
Alresford Waterworks - This painting shows the concrete Water Tower in Jacklyns Lane and the partial demolition of the adjacent brick built Pump House. The demolition of both Tower and Pump House was completed early in 1956 when a new sources of water for Alresford and the surrounding Parishes was established at Northington.
Water for the town had been pumped from the Jacklyns Lane site for over 50 years. Below the floor of the Pump House there was a five feet diameter well to a depth of 120 feet and below that an 18 inch diameter borehole a further 45 feet. The pumps were capable of abstracting 100,000 gallons of water per day.
At ground level there existed a reservoir for storing the majority of the water for the town. The tower, with a top water level 16 feet above ground level, supplied the higher parts of the town.

© Alresford Library - Hampshire County Council.

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE