R 016

R 016

On the south side of East Street at it's junction with Sun Lane, hidden behind a high wall, stands the imposing "Langtons"

Originally built in 1760 the house has undergone extensive alterations, additions and improvements

This photograph was taken in 1926 when the house was being offered for sale by public auction

During the war years from 1942 until 1946 the house was taken over by Hampshire County Council for use as a maternity home. Many local Red Cross Volunteers came in regularly to help the resident Matron and the nursing staff

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE