R 013

R 013

In the belfry of St Johns parish church, 1907. The bell ringers are (left) Mr James Sait, bootmaker of Broad Street and (right) Mr William Hall, blacksmith of the dean. A plaque by the west door of the church reads: “The inhabitants of Alresford placed this record here to commemorate the fact that William Hall and James Sait did, in this belfry, ring 50 consecutive New Year midnight peals, from 1857 to 1906; in recognition of which a testimonial was presented to them by public subscription, March 1907”

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE