R 001

R 001

The restoration of the Church of St John the Baptist 1897-8. The medieval church had been damaged by fire in 1698, when only the tower and outer walls of the naive escaped. Over time the pillars of the rebuilt church gradually decayed, leaving the only course of action in the 1890’s to remove the 17th century work and build a new church, utilising the old walls and tower

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE