U 017

U 017

Built in the 1820's, the Eel House straddling the river Arle (Alre) was purpose-built to harvest the rich downstream run of mature eels that takes place on dark moonless nights between July and November each year

The interior of the building contains three channels built to house the iron grills that formed the three eel traps and is understood to have been used for eel trapping up to 1957

All images on this site © Godfrey Andrews ALRESFORD HERITAGE